Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Week 3: Thing 7

Hmmm...Blog anything technology.....
I guess I am always amazed at how quickly things change in Techno World. Just when I think we've got enough to get us by, something new and innovative creeps up! And I am usually skeptical about it--take the cell phone. I just need one to make phone calls when I'm in a bind. Then I had to replace it because it wouldn't operate with the new system the phone companies are using. And with each replacement phone I got (due to the phone dying in 2-3 years) there were more bells and whistles. Now we have phones that take pictures, videos, send email, Internet, texting, MP3 Players--and the list goes on! I'm afraid to ask, "What next?"
But I try to keep up with the tech trends. I recently received a new iPod--the iTouch. WOW! So I can store and listen to my music, send/recieve emails, watch movies/videos, YouTube, get world wide weather reports, search the Internet, buy music, get Stock Market updates, play games...and the list goes on.
I can't help but to ask, that with all these "tools", are we becoming a less sociable society? Are we forgetting or not learning social etiquette when we meet people face to face? In a recent trip to Japan, I couldn't stop noticing that many young people never look up while completing their daily travels--they are texting and have earphones in their ears--all while walking down the street. Just the other day I saw a person driving and texting at the same time. And I was worried about people talking on phones and driving. I know that I need to keep up with the current trends and that we as educators need to meet the demands of what our students need to learn. But sometimes, it's all too overwhelming. Then I remember...take a breath, relax, and just go with the flow. I'll catch on sooner or later. =]

No comments: