Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Week 3: Thing 5


Fishing
Originally uploaded by /\ltus
This image describes how I often feel with new technology. I'm sitting alone on a rock, fishing for information. Okay, only when I am feeling very overwhellmed. But I think it describes how a lot of staff members in my building feel about the fast pace evolution of technology.
Cheers!


So I've been playing around in Flickr and think it's another great tool to share photos online. Seems to have similar features to iPhoto (sorting photos, creating books/calendars), but this is a nice way to share with friends and family online. I like the fact that you have a choice to share totally public or be more selective of who you let view your photos. I'm not sure I'd like to share personal stuff with the world yet, goes back to the whole privacy issue.
As for use in school with students, I would say use caution especially with elementary. It's a great lesson in being careful on what you're searching. An innocent tag/keyword can bring up not so innocent photos. But that is the way of the Internet.
I could see teachers using this as a tool to collect their own photos, have students/families add their photos and linking it to whatever curricular project they are currently studying.

1 comment:

Raven About Web 2.0 Team said...

Be sure to investigate the Flickr group aspect where the group administrator can limit who sees the photos and who can contribute. This might be a way to provide some control, though just having a student sign on to Flickr seems a little risky! This is why we need to get to know all the pros and cons ahead of time.