Monday, July 28, 2008

Week 9, Thing #22 eBooks & Audio books

I am a huge fan of audio books. Don't get me wrong, I love to hold a book in my hand, smelling the aroma as I flip through the pages while sitting in a cozy spot with my blanket. BUT.... I have time issues, especially when the school year is in full swing. SO I really enjoy listening to books in audio format while driving or walking the dogs. Sometimes I'll pop an audiobook into my boombox at work and listen while I shelve books. I began utilizing audiobooks with the Battle of the Books program to help students who are struggling readers participate. Elaine Daw used this idea with her YRC program, so I thought I'd try it out with Battle of the Books. It is FABULOUS! I have various listening stations with the different books and the students choose which ones they'd like to listen, which just adds another fun way to read a book.
eBooks is an arena I haven't ventured too far into yet, because I figure if I'm going to sit and read, I still find comfort in holding the actual book in my hand. But I have played with the Kindle a bit and I like the idea of storing hundreds of books in one "book" and was surprised that the monitor/screen is not hard on the eyes like a computer screen.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Yes, I resisted even looking at Kindle for a long time but after getting to play with one a bit I can see lots of potential. Like for traveling..I hate taking books, finishing them and then carrying them back because I don't want to part with them yet!! But that brings up the problem of being able to pass on or loan out your books. Hmmmm
They are remarkably easy to read, especially out of doors which was a surprise. Most computer screens are impossible to read in a bright sunny location.