Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Week 4: Thing 8 RSS Feeds & 9 Library Blogs

What a neat way to have information come to you! I am in the early stages of building my collection of RSS Feeds, but MAN! There is SO MUCH out there! Something for everyone and every walk of life! I like that I can look at them at my convenience and until then, it just stays in my Google Reader. I like that I can organize them into categories and I can share with others. I definitely want to utilize this tool for the upcoming school year. In the SLJ feed, I found one for getting boys more excited about reading, which led me to another site about a new series titled The DoppleGanger Chronicles:The First Escape to be released in Sept 2008. It's similar to Hugo Cabret and will be popular with struggling readers as well. The text combines with graphic novel and the pace is short and shifts to keep the reader's attention. The website for the book is worth looking at, the address is: http://www.dopplegangerchronicles.com
I came back to Google Reader to see what else is new and found an article about Digital Resources: Presentation in a Box which led me to a site called smilebox.com. It's a site where you can create and share photos/videos for free! It includes ideas for educators. Another blog site I found is librarianinblack.net which has several ideas,descriptions, and links to the latest Web 2.0 tools. Some are Schmap (a mapping program for travel), Libgig (site to post/apply for library jobs), 360 Cities (allows you to view major cities world wide in 360 degree), etc. I also hooked up to some MSNBC RSS feed, the ADN news feed.
Back to RSS Feeds...Yet again I can foresee a problem....when to find time to do all this? As a librarian in an elementary school there is just not enough time in the day. I often find that I can get something going and soon it falls off the plate because other issues get piled on. Maybe I need to learn better ways to manage having my hand in too many pots. OR not having them in so many pots. Oh the dilema!

2 comments:

Booklover said...

I know exactly what you mean about time as an elementary librarian. There's is already more then enough to do it seems without adding more. I think what we need to do is start with just one or two things at a time. All of the "things" that we've learned are great but all of the together is overwhelming, so if we just pick one thing that we think would be useful and really get comfortable with it I think it would be manageable.

Pekochan said...

You are absolutely correct! I have to train myself to be frugal. I get so excited about all this new stuff and then my plate gets so full. thanks!